Tuesday 20 May 2008

There is FMLA Expansion and Then There Is FMLA Expansion

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am doing a speech at the SHRM national convention on the potential impact of the 2008 elections. One of the areas I will be covering is possible expansion of the FMLA. But those bills are pikers compared to what was offered in the Connecticut legislature. Thanks to Daniel Schwartz at the Connecticut Employment Law Blog for his post, The Right to Attend Opening Day at Yankee Stadium...and Get Paid by Your Employer.

Actually it was better than just opening day, it was also for the first day of summer, and also "the first day of a sport-fishing or hunting season authorized pursuant to chapter 26 of the general statutes." But apparently it was more of a satirical offering by some Republicans opposed to paid leave than a serious offer.

I think what is scary is that I wasn't sure that it was not a serious offer until I read Daniel's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comment !